HERAKLION ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM – DIGITAL MUSEUM
The Heraklion Archaeological Museum is one of the oldest and most remarkable museums in Greece, and among the most important museums in Europe. It houses representative artefacts from all periods of Cretan prehistory and history, from the Neolithic era to Roman times. However, the Museum prides itself on its unique Minoan collection, which includes the masterpieces of Minoan art. The collection of Minoan antiquities, following the evolution of that civilisation from beginning to end, is the most important in the world, and the Museum is justly considered the museum of Minoan culture par excellence.
Due to its global recognition and high visitor numbers, its exhibits from every geographical region of Crete, covering every chronological period of antiquity, and its comprehensive presentation of the Minoan civilization, the Heraklion Archaeological Museum may justly be termed the metropolitan museum of Crete, a key space for the study and promotion of ancient Cretan culture.
The “Innovative Actions for the Digital Promotion and Outward-looking Policy of the Heraklion Archaeological Museum” project was implemented by the Heraklion Archaeological Museum in 2019-2022, in the framework of the Regional Operational Programme “Crete 2014-2020”, co-financed by the European Union (ERDF) and national resources. The aim was the creation of the Digital Museum, through a web portal and a set of applications intended to optimise the experience both of physical visitors to the Museum and of online users.
The project included the documentation, photographing and 3D scanning of selected Museum exhibits, as well as the digitisation of the relevant visual material from archaeological publications.
The following digital applications were also designed and implemented
- Interactive map of publicly accessible archaeological sites of Crete from which selected exhibits of the Heraklion Archaeological Museum originate;
- Timeline of Cretan Prehistory and History up to the Roman period, as well as a Timeline of the History of the Heraklion Archaeological Museum;
- Dictionary of Archaeological Terms;
- Educational / entertainment application;
- Online interactive virtual tour of selected galleries of the permanent exhibition of the Museum;
- Website for the presentation of the digitised archaeological material and digital applications;
- Virtual tour for Museum visitors and augmented reality presentations of 20 selected Museum exhibits;
- Supply and installation of equipment for the operation and continuous enrichment of the system.
Stella Mandalaki, Director of the Archaeological Museum of Heraklion
Deukalion Manidakis, Irene Nikolakopoulou, Michalis Papagiannakis.
ADMINISTRATION AND ACCOUNTING
Maria Krasanaki-Chronaki, Marina Kallergi.
ARCHAEOLOGICAL DOCUMENTATION OF EXHIBITS
Evaggelia Sikla, Savvas Petridis, Georgia Flouda, Irene Nikolakopoulou, Kleanthis Sidiropoulos, Stella Mandalaki, Maria Kyrimi, Eirini Galli, Katerina Athanasaki, Dimitris Sphakianakis, Paraskevi Stamataki, Deukalion Manidakis, Kleio Tzanaki, Eleni Tziraki.
Kleio Tzanaki, Georgia Flouda.
TIMELINE OF CRETAN HISTORY AND PREHISTORY
HISTORY OF THE MUSEUM
COMPILATION OF CHARTOGRAPHIC DATA
DICTIONARY OF ARCHAEOLOGICAL TERMS
SUPERVISION OF VIRTUAL TOUR APP AND AUGMENTED REALITY APP
TEXT ADAPTATION FOR GUIDED TOUR APP
SUPERVISION OF 3D DIGITIZATION OF EXHIBITS
PHOTOGRAPHS OF EXHIBITS
Ioannis Velegrakis (Uni Systems), Archaeological Museum of Heraklion Archive (Ioannis Patrikianos, Deukalion Manidakis, Giannis Papadakis-Ploumidis, Kleanthis Sidiropoulos).
Rosemary Tzanaki (English), Emmanouela Tzedaki (French).
«UNI SYSTEMS M.A.E.»